Attempting to lift a heavy bag or box all at once may result in back injury.
The first step in proper lifting is to assess the material to be lifted:
- How much does it weigh?
- Can the heavy load be made into a few lighter ones?
- Can I safely lift it myself?
- Is the object too awkward for me to lift and carry alone?
- Will I have to move the object through stairwells, on uneven ground or through narrow passageways that will cause further safety issues?
- Is there a way to minimize the amount of lifting and carrying I have to do (i.e. Is there a device, such as a wheeled cart to use to carry the object)?
General Lifting Principles
Lifting Heavy Objects
When there are no alternatives and where a heavy load can't be broken into smaller units and where it is not possible or practical to use two people to lift, there are ways to protect yourself from injury.