|License Options:||Single Seat (90 days access)
Multi-seat (1 year access)
This 3-part course will educate you on confined spaces, the identification and control of hazards that can be encountered, and key steps to working safely.
- Part 1: Hazard Awareness covers how to recognize confined spaces and the types of hazards that may be present
- Part 2: Hazard Control covers how to control the hazards
- Part 3: Working Safely covers proper ways to enter and work in a space as well as emergency planning
Although the course covers the basics of most legal requirements, there may be some variation between jurisdictions. Links are provided, wherever possible, to documents that cover legal requirements for some jurisdictions.
"Confined Spaces: The Basics" is equivalent to the general theory and information provided by a classroom course, however it does not provide the “hands on”, workplace-specific training that allows workers to confidently put the theory learned into actual practice in the workplace. Employers must ensure that this additional workplace-specific training is provided for confined space workers.
Case studies and other examples are included to illustrate the concepts as well practical tools such as sample forms and checklists. Quizzes after each part and an exam help to measure and encourage learning.
- Responsibilities of Employers, Supervisors, Workers and Contractors
- Recognizing a Confined Space
- Hazard Awareness in Confined Spaces
- Confined Space Permit Systems
- Preparing for Confined Space Entry and Work
- Working Safely in Confined Spaces
- Emergency Planning for Confined Spaces
Upon completion of this course, you will:
- Know your duties and responsibilities in performing confined space work
- Recognize the characteristics that define a permit-required confined space
- Understand the types of confined space hazards and why they are potentially harmful
- Know the types of control measures used to ensure a space is safe before and during entry
- Be able to conduct a proper pre-entry assessment and preparation of the confined space
- Understand the necessary procedures for working inside a confined space
- Know what to do in the event of a problem or emergency situation
Average time to complete this course is about 3 hours.
- Workers (including outside contractors) who enter and perform work in confined spaces in the workplace
- Managers, supervisors, health and safety committee members
Individuals with control or authority over confined spaces and/or work being performed in confined spaces would also benefit from the e-course "Confined Space Management". This second course outlines your legal duties and responsibilities and provides additional focus on details such as establishing and managing a confined space program.
This course is delivered as an on-line e-learning course. All you need is a computer, access to the Internet - and you are ready to go! This e-learning course is designed to help you learn at your own pace and in your own environment at your own convenience.
CCOHS courses are unique in that they are developed by subject specialists in the field, and reviewed by representatives from labour, employers and government to ensure the content and approach are unbiased and credible.
We partnered with Vubiz - an international leader in e-learning development - to create this e-course.
Vubiz offers other related e-learning courses that may also be of interest to you. Read about them in the Vubiz Catalogue of e-learning courses.